Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Rewild The World

TED Talks are one of my favorite places to learn about new exciting topics and developments in Technology, Entertainment, Design (or TED), Business, Science and Global Issues. I constantly find myself inspired by these remarkable speakers and the ideas, problems and solutions they present.



Recently TED posted a talk by George Monbiot from a global talk this past July entitled "For More Wonder, Rewild the World". Here is the talk:

http://www.ted.com/talks/george_monbiot_for_more_wonder_rewild_the_world.html

Interesting quotes from the talk:
"And it was only when I stumbled across an unfamiliar word that I began to understand what I was looking for.

"So the wolves, small in number, transformed not just the ecosystem of the Yellowstone National Park, this huge area of land, but also its physical geography."

"Why shouldn't all of us have a Serengeti on our doorsteps?"

Rewilding is the mass restoration of ecosystems. Or a second definition, rewilding of human life not in opposition to civilization but have access to richer, wilder lives of adventure because of rewilded habitats. I'm picturing a less lonely and non post-apocalyptic version of "I Am Legend". Doesn't that sound like a utopia? Is a Serengeti on our doorsteps really that farfetched?

Temperatures, climates and environments similar to now in the West hosted a variety of fauna and megafauna not seen here today. Elephants, rhinoceros and lions grazing the streets of Britain. Climate hasn't chased away these animals but pressure from humans has. Now in keeping with wolves and whales example, perhaps he's suggesting reintroducing megafauna to Western society trinkle down effect may include human population decrease thus resulting in more smaller fauna and flora increases, which in turn increases megafauna populations.

Okay, so I don't exactly see a wildlife park in the middle of the American suburbs, at least in my lifetime. But it sure if fun to think about. And I do agree with his parting words, "In motivating people to love and defend the natural world, an ounce of hope is worth a ton of despair." 

No comments:

Post a Comment